Couple of the Month: Alyssa & Mike

November 1, 2016

Alyssa, an office manager and Michael, a sales manager will be getting married on November 25th at Giorgio’s after dating for almost 10 years.

Every once in awhile, we realize that our couple’s are better at telling their love story than we are and this is one of those instances!  The bride-to-be Alyssa, has graciously answered all our questions so perfectly that we are going to share.  


Married Up: How long have the two of you known each other? How long have you been dating? Where did you first meet?

Alyssa: Mike and I met almost 10 years ago and started dating in early 2007 which was senior year of high school. We met through a mutual friend while both working in the mall during the holiday season of 2006. After closing the store I worked in one night, I went to the other side of the mall to visit my friend who was closing with Mike that night. I went to catch up with her and figured I could help clean up the store. The rest is history.


Married Up: Tell us about how you got engaged.

Alyssa: Dating for 9 years was getting me anxious with everyone around me getting engaged but I knew it was only a matter of time. Mike’s cousin was getting married in Jamaica at the end of June in 2015, which we were going to attend together. It was my first real trip away from home and I got the sense that this was his plan all along. As the week went on, the wedding over and done with, I became increasingly nervous that this may never happen. It was the second to last night and I came right out and said, “wouldn’t this be nice if it was us getting married like this?” He quickly replied almost like he’s been preparing for this moment with an, “I’m just not ready to grow up yet”. That was it. I was convinced I’d have my last name for the rest of my life. Two weeks later there’s a tradition we’ve carried on since we began dating during fourth of July weekend. We head up with my family to the Adirondacks where we have a house and spend it on the lake in the middle of nowhere. In hindsight, I should have saw the signs like my mom packing the car with enough food for a small army or my dad going out and purchasing a brand new quad the night before we were leaving or the long grass surrounding the house and Mike taking a weed whacker to the long grass surrounding the entire property because there’s no lawn mower available. The day was Friday, July 3rd and I was already acclimated to my new environment by being super lazy and relaxed, not wanting to lift a finger. It was around 10am when my mom began pressing me to take a shower and I was being quite stubborn. Eventually around noon with her basically demanding that I go, I obliged. I got out of the shower and my younger brother and sister had already walked down to the beach with Mike’s intention to follow shortly behind. As we began walking out the door, my uncle, who was also staying down the block for the weekend, strolls into the house and begins to chat. He has no clue as to what is being planned and goes on with a very long and detailed story. After several minutes and no end to the story in sight, Mike began to press me to go down to the beach. I had no reason to hurry and didn’t want to be rude so I kept deflecting. Eventually after the 7th or 8th time I reluctantly agreed. As we walked out the door, my small dog began to follow so naturally I take him with us. As we walk down the road the dog decides to do his business and Mike insists we take care of it later since there’s no one around. When we get to the beach I begin walking down the same walkway I have for 26 years of my life except this time there’s something different waiting at the end for me besides just water. There’s a small metal box that’s been engraved with our names on it, the date we began dating and today’s date. Very confused by this gesture I do the opposite of what Mike’s expectations were and pick the box up and turn around with him in the process of kneeling down. As he stands in an awkward pose I begin to ask several times, “What’s in the box?” as he replies each time with a, “Just open it” response. I finally do and the box is filled with all of our memories together whether it was notes throughout high school, tickets to events, you name it, it was there. Right after I opened it he completes the process of going to his one knee and began to propose. It was all such a blur to me and I was overcome with such emotion that as he presented the ring to me I swiped it up and put it on my own finger. “I’m guessing that’s a yes!” Mike exclaimed. My brother and sister right after the question was finally popped, revealed themselves to be on top of a nearby house where they were taking pictures. As we walk back to the house, I’m overcome with such emotion and beaming from ear to ear. I can’t wait to tell/show my parents what was perhaps the greatest moment in my life. As were walking and getting close to the house, Mike steps right in the dog’s business. That’s got to be good luck right? Upon arriving at the house, Mike quickly turns me towards him and gives me a kiss. He allows me to walk through the door to the house first and I didn’t realize the surprise wasn’t over. He had gotten together family members of both sides and close friends to surprise us back at the house and begin to celebrate in the middle of nowhere. This truly was a weekend to remember for the rest of our lives beginning with fireworks on the beach and ending by watching fireworks over Lake Placid’s sky.





The photos were taken at Frank Melville Park in Setauket, NY by Briana McCarthy.


You Might Also Like

No Comments

Leave a Reply